Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Top Secret Training - Matt Larsen # 2

5 Weeks out from the Boston Marathon
In the last few weeks, I tried to stick with the same recipe. Some things went pretty well, and I had a few instances where I wasn’t as tough as I would have hoped. Life got in the way of my mileage goals following the workouts I posted on 2/15 and 2/16, and I ended that week mileage in the 30s. Last week, however, I hit the highest mileage in recent memory at 73. I’ll give you the low and highlights of the past two weeks.

2/20- long run- The plan was to do a shorter long run 14-16 miles. I woke up late and headed to the couch. During my extended time on my couch, I put thought into getting hydrated and having something small to eat prior to the run. I also then thought about running at Pettit center instead of running outside in the freezing rain. After about six hours of contemplating a run, I recognized that laziness won in the battle of lazy man vs. the driven athlete. The next battle soon became showering vs. not showering. Not showering won this battle. This was my laziest day of 2011. In the past, I would have been upset at myself for my lack of work ethic. I was coming off a pretty good stretch, however, and I had planned for a down week…. Just not this much of a down week

2/22- Pettit workout-The plan was to run a three mile warm up followed by 3 miles at 6 minute pace, 600 meter jog recovery, 3 miles at 5:50 pace, 600 jog recovery, 3 miles at 5:40 pace, and finally a 3 mile cool down to end things. I ran 3 miles at about 6:02 pace and jogged my recovery. I started rolling the second 3 miler and recognized that I was dancing around people in the Pettit and getting a little frustrated. I was riding solo on this workout, so I didn’t have my trusty pace cars…. It made a difference. As I grew impatient and sensed a third 3 miler wouldn’t happen, I tried to finish the 2nd three miler strong. I ran the last mile hard and glanced at my watch when I finished to see a split of 5:39 and a total time of 17:15. (I had hoped for and expected a better effort) I ended up doing my cool down and didn’t worry too much about the down day. I have been frustrated about workouts like these in the past, but I realized this time that I was a little optimistic to think I could do this on my own. I am also coming to the realization that even workouts that don’t turn out great can, in turn, give great fitness benefits.

2/27- Long run-Plan was to roll twenty with the first part outside and finish the last three a little faster in the Pettit. This time I had a partner in crime, Matt Thull, and that helped. We ran 13 outside slowly through some slop. We then ran 7 indoors and dropped it down a little in the end. I ended up finishing the last 2 miles in 6:20 and then 6:14 respectively. It felt pretty good and it was nice to have a Sunday that was a little less lazy than the previous Sunday.

3/2- Pettit Workout- The plan was to run 4-5x 1 mile repeats at faster than 5:20 with a 3 mile warm up and cool down. I had the benefit of Eamon M as a pace car and former college teammate Jeremy Burks also joined in the fun (Jeremy has been in his own very good groove runs and cross trains as he has had injuries related to heavy miles). The plan was to run 79s to 80s on the first quarter and see how 5 teens to 5:20 felt. We ended up running a 5:13, and it felt very good. Jeremy went on to do the rest of the workout on his own. It felt good to run with him again. Eamon and I ran the second repeat in 5:12 and this one felt a little more challenging. The 3rd repeat went out identical to the first 2 (I am very impressed with Eamon’s ability to pace). Coming into the second lap, I thought about how the workout was going well but that running wasn’t that fun. I rolled through ¾ in the same amount of time as I had run on the other two 3:54 but the effort was a little more. I then threw a surprise attack at Eamon as I accelerated on the final quarter….. I also said to him under my breath “this is my last one.” With about 200 to go, I thought I had gapped Eamon and looked over my shoulder to the right. He was right next to me- I hadn’t gapped him. We were heading toward the finish, and I, being the gentleman that I am, let Eamon have the step toward the finish line. We finished in 5:05. Eamon ran one more in 4:57. I would have done another one, but I didn’t want to make Eamon feel bad. I actually felt pretty good about the workout, but don’t have a great explanation regarding stepping on the gas to end the workout one repeat early. I am pleased, however, that the pace is getting a little faster.

1 comment: