Tuesday, March 6, 2012

ThunderDome Running- Don't Call it a Comeback-Uphill Battles

The running world is full of beginners, veterans, and Olympians and they all want to and do make it to the starting line in different ways facing varying challenges and obstacles.  That training & self awareness journey is the awesome part about running and somehow we all end up not only on the starting line--but rolling through the finish tape.

Just wanted to share a story of a ThunderDome runner I worked with this past summer and fall from Connecticut. Frank was one of the hardest workers I have had the opportunity to work with and this is a summary by Frank of his journey as his season wrapped up with his key 5k race.
__________________

What a great Sunday and what a great way to end my season.  After not racing consistently since 2006 I vowed that 2011 was going to be a comeback year and I'm glad to say with the completion of today's Saybrook Point 5K the mission was successfully accomplished.  Since my hamstring injury on July 4th my goal was to run a 5K race schedule for the remainder of the year with every race being faster than the last and to ultimately run one or more of those races under 20 minutes.  I'm glad to say all of the above took place capped off with today's 5K in a time of 19:39.  In my last two races I finished in the top 10 (9th two weeks ago and 6th today) and today I won my age group.  I couldn't think of a better way to end things.

A quick race report today before I get into my thank you's.  Cold and windy down by the shore this morning, low 50's but by race time things warmed up.  Off right at 8:30 am on a real flat course.  Started off about 10th and before the first mile settled in to the 6th position which was my final finishing spot. 6:13 for the first mile about 12 seconds faster than I had hoped for so I backed off a bit in order to have plenty left at the end.  Mile 2 was done in 6:24 which told me right there I would have enough left to finish strong.  As usual I forgot to hit the lap button on my watch at mile 3 but the last 1.1 was done at a 6:19 pace.  I had just enough left at the end for one last 1/2 mile kick to bring me in at 19:38.  I don't have all my race records from years past but I'm pretty sure this is one of my top three 5K performances.

I sent a text to Matt (my coach/trainer) right after the race with my results and the text he sent back was just what I needed.  Here it is:

"Frank that is awesome. You had to have been rolling out there--no let up ever for 19:39. You put in all the work--enjoy it.  In a way this is just the beginning.  U freakin started this with a run/walk!"

What Matt is referring to is how I started back running on March 29th, 2011.  My first workouts were 15 minutes of just a run/walk combo.  From then until now I've lost 30 pounds and logged over 535 miles.  A lot of work but well worth it in the end with today's result.  "Only the beginning" refers to the long range plan of running the Boston Marathon in 2013.  A plan that originally scheduled for 2012 but my hamstring injury delayed that.

Now to the thank you's.

To my trainer Matt.  I cannot begin to tell you how thankful I am I found your services on the internet way back in March.  I have had a number of online trainers during my time as a runner but none of them has been more attentive to my needs and written better training programs than you.  I know you always say I'm the one putting in the work but honestly without you there planning it for me and helping me through some really tough times this year there is no way this season would have been as successful as it was.  What I've written here just doesn't seem to be enough to truly thank you but please know I have appreciated everything you have done for me.  I'm taking a little time off but can't wait for us to start all over again next month.  

No comments:

Post a Comment